This spinach fluffy cake filled with crème Fraiche, whipped cream and mascarpone frosting, is so easy to make.
The juicy sponge layers have a nice, green colour derived from spinach, which does not affect the taste of the cake.
The cream filling has been mixed with lemon juice to add a lemony and fresh taste to the cake.
You can decorate with fresh raspberries, blueberries, and mint leaves.
Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
– 4 eggs
– 200 g raw fresh spinach
– 2 cups plain white flour we used Allinson Strong White Flour, which is is a great all-purpose flour
– 2 cups of sugar
– 1 cup sunflower, grapeseed or olive oil
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 10 g baking powder 2 ½ tsp
– 1/2 cup milk sweetened with honey
– strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries for decoration
– 300 ml whipping cream
– 300 ml crème Fraiche
– 200 g mascarpone cheese
– 3/4 cup icing sugar
– 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
How to make Spinach Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/356F.
2. Use three 8 inch round cake pans. If you do not have enough cake pans, you can use one 10 inch pan. Then you can split already chilled cake
layers in half horizontally.
3. Put the spinach leaves in the boiling water for 30 sec. Drain and leave them in the ice water for 2-3min so that the leaves brighten the green
colour. Drain again a squeeze to remove excess moisture.
4. Puree the spinach with the oil in the kitchen robot.
5. Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract for 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick. Use room temperature eggs for a better result.
6. Add spinach puree to the mixture.
7. Combine the dry ingredients – flour with baking powder in a bowl and then start gradually adding them to the wet ingredients.
8. Pour the mixture into greased, lined with parchment pans and bake for 40-50 min. Check with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
Don’t open the oven door too soon – this makes the oven lose heat.
9. When done, let the dough to cool completely and then remove from pans.
10. You can level layer cakes before frosting using a bread knife keeping the cake crumbs for decoration.
11. In the bowl beat the cream and slowly add 1/2 cup of icing sugar. When the mixture gets thick, add mascarpone, lemon or lime juice, and
remaining sugar. Finally, add the crème Fraiche slowly and beat in until thick and creamy.
12. To assemble the cake, place the first layer on a cake plate and give it a light soak of slightly warmed milk, sweetened with some honey. Then
gently spread 1/3 of the cream. Arrange fresh, sliced strawberries in between the layers. Keep repeating this layering process. Sprinkle with
cake crumbs. You can decorate with fresh raspberries, blueberries, and mint leaves.
13. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
14. Enjoy our Spinach Cake!
Prep Time – 30 min
Cook Time – 50 min
Servings – 16 people